What do I feed dogs? Check out more information on dog feeding here.
What do I feed to cows? Cows prefer grass and leafy material, so if you have grass clippings (from your lawn or locality parks) or cuttings from cow-safe trees like mulberry, you can feed them those. Cows also eat:
- Roti (cooked or raw atta dough)
- Subze (purchased or the unsellable bruised fruit and veg from subze-wallas)
- Cow feed (can be purchased and soaked)
- Mustard-oil press leftovers, given in moderation. (Can be purchased at an oil mill).
Bhoosa/wheat straw should not be given in large quantities to stray cows, as it can cause bloating.
I dont want to buy meat. What do I do? Dogs can be vegan or vegetarian, but it must be done carefully to make sure they have all the nutrients they need. Cats, however, are obligate carnivores, they must eat meat! You can:
- Ask butchers for their waste meat. You can boil bones and make a bone broth (you MUST not feed cooked bones! Take them out before feeding), or get the internal organs (wash very thoroughly and boil into soup).
- Ask paneer-makers for their waste whey. (Better yet, turn this into dahi at home for easy digestion).
My pets/strays won't eat the food I made. What do I do?
It can take some time to transition a dog or cat to a new kind of food. Start by adding just a spoonful of your new food to their old diet. Every 3-5 days, add a little more of the new food and a little less of the old food. Eventually they will be eating just the new!
If they simply stop eating the food at one point, let them leave meals for up to 2 days! Fasting for a little while won't hurt them, and they might just get hungry enough to try the new food. This works on children as well!
I can't afford to feed my dogs, cats, or cows, what do I do? Feeding can get expensive. If you are feeding many animals every day, here are some alternatives:
- Make your food instead of buying prepared food! (You can see our dog food recipe here.
- Ask butchers for their waste meat, many will give it for free. You can boil bones and make a bone broth (you MUST not feed cooked bones! Take them out before feeding), or get the internal organs (wash very thoroughly and boil into soup).
- Ask subze walas to give their animal-safe veggies which they cannot sell. Don't feed moldly or rotten vegetables, but bruised ones are perfectly fine. Research on Google if the vegetables/fruit are safe for the species before feeding!
If you want to ask for donations online (for instance on your own Facebook page), start by asking for food donations rather than cash donation. That way you build trust with your following!
What can I do if I get harassed for feeding animals? Feeding stray animals is within your rights. Start by trying to explain why you are feeding them. Some good points include are:
- well fed dogs fight and bite less
- it makes it easier to catch them for sterilization, which will help reduce the population
- If they continue to harass you then you can file and F.I.R. with you local police. If they are not willing to help then get in touch with FIAPO.