What can I feed to dogs? Check out our dogs' diet in this video:
Are ParleG biscuits bad for dogs? If the dog is starving and has no regular access to food, and if you have nothing else to give them, then please feed them the ParleG! However the high sugar content makes them a poor diet for dogs. Opt for a more balanced diet if you feed regularly!
What should I avoid giving to my dog?
My dogs won't eat the food I made. What do I do? It can take some time to transition a dog to a new kind of food. Start by adding just a spoonful of your new food to their old diet. Every 3-5 days, add a little more of the new food and a little less of the old food. Eventually they will be eating just the new!
If your dog stops eating the food at one point, let them leave meals for up to 2 days! Fasting for a little while won't hurt them, and they might just get hungry enough to try the new food. This works on children as well!
I can't afford to feed my dogs, what do I do? Dog food can get expensive. If you are feeding many dogs every day, here are some alternatives:
- Make your food instead of buying kibble. See the video above for our recipe.
- Ask butchers for their waste meat, many will give it for free. You can boil bones and make a bone broth (you MUST not feed cooked bones! Take them out before feeding), or get the internal organs (wash very thoroughly and boil into soup).
- Ask subze walas to give their dog-safe veggies which they cannot sell. Don't feed moldly or rotten vegetables, but bruised ones are perfectly fine.
- If you want to ask for donations online (for instance on your own Facebook page), start by asking for food donations rather than cash donation. That way you build trust with your following!
I dont want to buy meat. What do I do? Dogs can be vegan or vegetarian, but it must be done carefully to make sure they have all the nutrients they need. Cats, however, are obligate carnivores, they must eat meat! Ask butchers for their waste meat. You can boil bones and make a bone broth (you MUST not feed cooked bones! Take them out before feeding), or get the internal organs (wash very thoroughly and boil into soup).
What can I do if I get harassed for feeding animals? Feeding stray animals is within your rights. Start by trying to explain why you are feeding them. Some good points include are:
- well fed dogs fight and bite less
- it makes it easier to catch them for sterilization, which will help reduce the population
If they continue to harass you then you can file and F.I.R. with you local police. If they are not willing to help then get in touch with FIAPO.